Travel, whether it was to the Middle East to fight in the Crusades or on a pilgrimage to the Holy Land, was an activity that shaped the Middle Ages.
For this assignment, put yourself in the place of a person living during Middle Ages who traveled throughout Europe. Select a total of six representative pieces of art or architecture that date from this period in history. You should have 2 examples from each of the time periods in the Middle Ages: two examples from the Early Middle ages, two that represent the Romanesque, and two that represent Gothic art. Each example should reflect the essential characteristics of its time period. Your objects need to date between 400 CE and 1300 CE—the time span that encompasses the Early Middle Ages, Romanesque, and Gothic periods.
When you return from your travels, prepare a journal that includes the following information for each of your six representative works of art:
- A photograph of the object
- Identifying information:
- Name of the artist (if available)
- Title of the work
- Date of the work
- Medium/materials used to create the work
- Then, write a paragraph of 4-6 sentences that:
- Describes the visual characteristics that makes the object representative of its style
- Places the work within its social and historical context and explains why it is culturally significant
Finally, in a well-developed paragraph of 6-8 sentences, summarize what you have learned from your travels, highlighting key similarities and distinctions between the six objects you selected for discussion.